History of Halloween
Answer the following question with information found at: http://www.theholidayspot.com/halloween/history.htm
1. What does the word “Halloween” mean? _____________________________________
2. Roman Catholics, Episcopalians and Lutherans used to observe All Hallows Day to honor ____________________________________________________________
3. Pope Boniface IV introduced All Saints' Day to replace __________________________.
4. When was this festival observed? ________________________________________.
5. Who celebrated "Samhain" (pronounced "sow-in")? _____________________________.
6. Most of the customs connected with the Day are remnants of the ancient religious beliefs and rituals, first of the _________________ and then of the _______________ who conquered them.
Answer the following questions with information found at:
7. What did the Celts believed happened on the last day of October? ____________________________________________________________
8. In what century did the Christian church make November 1 All Saints' Day? _______________
9. October 31, or the night before took on other names, what were some of the other names that Halloween was called? _____________________________________________________
, way of keeping the memory of their
dead relatives and loved ones alive?
, the celebrate
______________________________ which means____________________ which begins on
the evening of _________________. Mexico
Answer the questions based on the video clips at: http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/?page=video
1. What is the Title of the clip? _____________________________
2. Why was it “creepy”? What happened? Give at least two reasons _________________________
3. What is the Title of the clip? _____________________________4. Why was it “creepy”? What happened? Give at least two reasons _________________________